11.12.2013

Jen Recommends: Music


I so love music.  I grew up in a musical family; we love music, sing music, play music, write music and, to borrow from Lizzie Bennet, play instruments very ill. 
 
Good songs affect me a lot like good books do.  Songs can become beloved friends, mile-markers for our adventures and always say what our hearts are trying to say!  Some songs bring back memories, motivate us to deep clean that closet and reveal something about the Word of God that we hadn't seen before.  I can hear a song or an artist, and remember a whole season of life!  The old CCM group 4Him brings back vivid smells of stables and training ponies.  Jeremy Camp makes me recall the deep emotions of a long season of heartbrokenness.  Andrew Peterson reminds me of being courted by my husband, and clinging to resurrection hope in the grieving of my Mom.
 
I couldn't help but share some songs and albums that I have worn out lately, and I think are going to be added to the list of beloved friends for this particular time in my life.  The Solitude and Quiet stuff is lovely for the recharging of the bogged-down college student, frazzled mom of toddlers or the generally overwhelmed.  And the restaurant music?  That will magically turn your grilled-cheese-in-a-camper to mozzarella-bruschetta-on-a-Tuscan-balcony.
Okay no.
But it definitely makes cooking and eating a whole bunch more fun.  You should try it. 
All are available on Spotify, and here I list them by category and what I have loved using them for:

Solitude and Quiet
Fortunate Fall (album) by Audrey Assad*
Love Came Down by Brian Johnson
How I Love You by Christy Nockels

Writing Music
Nemo’s Egg from Finding Nemo Soundtrack
May Be by Yiruma

Cooking Music
You’ve Got Mail Soundtrack
Italian Restaurant Music of Italy (album)

Cleaning and Organizing Music
Resurrection Letters II (album) by Andrew Peterson
Christmas Classics (album) by Bing Crosby (yes, I'm THAT person)


Do you have any songs attached to memories and seasons?
What music are you loving lately?
What songs do you love using for cleaning, quiet, eating, running and all around circus managing?
 
*all songs, except Good to Me (highly recommended!), are not available on Spotify.

12 comments:

  1. This was a delightful and fun post! :-) Music is so powerful. Just hearing songs brigns back memories, both painful and joyous. I've heard songs that have formerly been favorites, but I can't stand to listen to them because of their meaning. I've also collected my own playlist of songs that bring comfort and joy which includes songs like Phil Wickham's "Safe" which brings back memories of healing of a past relationship.

    Some music I'm really enjoying now:

    With Every Act of Love by Jason Gray
    Pocketful of Poetry (album) by Mindy Gledhill
    Hymned and Hymned again by Bart Millard

    For cleaning and such robust activities, I like listening to lively Scottish/Celtic music from Celtic Thunder and more, as well as Michael Buble. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing, the power of our human mind, our spirit and tangible music? I definitely know those pangs of hurt, or swellings of rejoicing that are so deeply rooted in familiar songs! It's mysterious, and wonderful and humbling.

      I'm always excited to hear new, particularly recommended, music. And I haven't heard any of these you have listed--so I will definitely check them out. Thank you for sharing those. :)

      P.S. And you're my favorite. I've been known to clean to some Michael Buble, myself. :)

      Delete
  2. Jeremy Camp reminds me of that season you went through, because I remember going through it with you. I could write a book about different music that jogs different memories. I think it really goes to show that there is something to music. A spirit behind it, if you will. Grieves me to think of my little nieces who fill their minds with filth and garbage from eminem and lady gag gag and others. ANYWAY.

    LaRue and Switchfoot always remind me of the year I got my drivers license.
    I love bluegrass music for cleaning to!
    But here lately, for all other purposes of worship, I have been drawn to the gospel hymns and songs with so much meaning. Usually performed by choir singers, or ensembles from churches -- praise and worship music is what my heart can't get away from.

    I just bought Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God album. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked up Fortunate Fall and yeaaaah, I think I need to buy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Forgot to mention Kari Jobe. She's my #1 lawn mowing music of choice. Amen.

      Delete
    2. Lady Gaggag, indeed! I definitely agree with there being something to music. There are some genres of music and secular lyrics that just make my blood run cold. Eeek.
      On the other extreme, I'm fascinated with David, his love for music, his writing it and the power in it. Such good stuff!

      It makes me happy that you remember that season of Jeremy Camp for me. :) Haha, LaRue, Switchfoot and KJ-52 remind me of the year we started pen-paling. That was probably around the same time!

      Oh how I love the hymns, too. So often when I'm having difficulty eloquently praying, I can listen to them and they so perfectly say what my heart is trying to say. Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus has been one I've worn out lately. Have you heard Jadon Lavik's albums Roots Run Deep and Roots Run Deeper? The first one is the best. :)

      And YES. Fortunate Fall. When we first got that, I would listen to it and just cry, cry, cry. It's very liturgical, but so steeped in Jesus. It's been a huge blessing to me!

      P.S. LOL! I need a lawn mowing music list now. :)

      Delete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed your list of music :) I enjoy the classical music and could listen to anything from Bach and Mozart. I also love listening to the old-fashioned instrumental hymns when I am writing or reading - I find it very calming.

    It is truly amazing to be able to listen to a song and have it take you back to a certain time, certain place, certain memory.

    Thanks for this delightful post. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your favorites, too, Stephanie. We are definitely huge fans of classical music! However, I'm really weird, as staccato pieces make me more anxious and hurried than relaxed. This is much to my husband's disappointment, since those tend to be his favorites. :P
      Yes, yes, the hymns! Hymns are definitely my favorite way to hear classical instruments. I also find those calming, and excellent tea/reading music, too. Classical music makes me wish I had a regency costume closet, and it would be socially acceptable for me to wear those ALL the time. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm such a huge music fan... and of so many kinds. There are some songs that I think even define certain spiritual moments for me too. Like right now I'm all about Shane & Shane and Lauren Chandler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Shane & Shane--their Vision of You, Wounded and Healed are among those particular spiritual moments for me. :) I haven't heard Lauren Chandler, I will have to look for her. Thank you for sharing, friend. I enjoy seeing your music taste on your monthly favorites!
      P.S. I kind of heart Sara Bareilles.

      Delete
  6. One of my new favorites is I Already Know by Mandi Mapes. It's about the story of Ruth and God's Sovereignty :) http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Mandi+Mapes/22959931

    Have you heard Though You Slay Me by Shane and Shane? I wish I had more time to comment on this post. I feel like conversation about music could be endless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard that Mandi song, I will have to check it out! I've heard the Shane and Shane one only once, and I loved it as well. I need to give that whole album a re-listen. :)

      I agree, music is such a good conversation! Thank you for sharing these favorites! :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! I enjoy comments of all varieties, lengths and contents, and I do try to faithfully reply. :)