10.23.2013

Simple Joys


This week, I'm linking up with my adorable friend at Melinda Blogs {sometimes} and sharing my Simple Joys; little things that have made the day brighter in their simplicity!

{God's love for me}
Not really a simple joy, but a simple message that I have been guilty of overcomplicating.  My Father is faithful to me, in spite of me, and He's daily revealing to me how intense are his affections for me.  I wrote about this in a guest post for Lovely Thoughts, featuring today on the lovely blog of my sweet friend, Yelena.  She is an ambitious law student, desiring to bring a worldview of Christ and his love to her field.  I've been blessed to blog-fellowship with her for over two years!

{scattered peas}
Bear and Bee love sweet peas.  They aren't the most convenient of vegetables, since they scatter everywhere and fall into every crevice.  But as long as the girls will eat their fill of something green, I will serve them.  This week, whilst cleaning up yet another scattered mess of peas, I realized that I will blink and those peas will be the bobbi pins of teenage daughters.  Ultimately, there will be no traces of my wee ones in my empty nest.  Then and there, I gave thanks for scattered peas.

{a red kettle}
Since it came to us as a wedding gift, this has journeyed with us since the very beginning of our adventure.  It has definitely earned it's place on the stovetop, where it never leaves it's post.  It has served us countless cups of tea, thawed breast milk, made baby bottles, blanched it's weight in sweet peas and warmed bath water when the propane tanks were empty.  I think of it very affectionately as my sidekick; my cherry red squire, in it for the long haul on the battleground of making home.




{binky-faces}
Even when I was young and my siblings were growing too old for pacifiers, I would rebel against weaning them even more than the toddler did.  I so love binky-faces.  Bear is now reaching that long-dreaded season of binky-weaning.  She still wants it at nap and bedtime, and it kind of makes me sad.  Maybe it's not saying good bye to the binky that is sad, but saying good bye to the babyhood that it seems to take with it.

{tea}
Oh, tea.  After two pregnancies, I haven't been able to touch my once beloved coffee.  But tea and I have rekindled our romance.  My staples are Red Raspberry Leaf, African Rooibos and my favorite, Kurdish Mountain Chai.  This simple, yet lovely blend of chai is made by some dear friends of ours who have a special place in their heart for missions to Iraq.  Their chai blend not only makes an excellent latte, but every purchase helps fund heart surgeries for children in Iraq.  You should get some from their Etsy shop and see what you're missing!



{fringe}
Or bangs, if you prefer.  I've had them for a couple weeks and I loooove them.  I may never go back.
 



What simple things have brought you joy, friend?
This is an excellent way to stop and "smell the roses" of our day-to-day and give thanks.  You should link up with Melinda and try it.  It's as good for the soul as Kurdish chai. :)

11 comments:

  1. Loved this post! The post about the peas is such a reminder to not complain. I've been thinking about how often I complain about the annoying things that those I love do, and yet, someday, I won't be around those people as much as I am now, and I'll miss every moment, including those moments that formerly brought me frustration. Funny how fickle our human nature is! It's always good to put things in perspective and realize how useless our complaining is! :-)

    Love that red kettle! It's so quaint! I am collecting Fiesta and one of the colors I am collecting is bright red...I'm going to have to check out a little pot like that!

    Thanks for the link to the tea! I wanted to try some of that after you and LeAnna were talking about it. Tea is sort of my comfort drink second to coffee. ;-)

    I hope you have a delightful day! Thanks so much for participating in Simple Joys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Indeed, fickle is the perfect word. I've found lately, to my shame, that when I stop and think about how weighty my irritations are in light of eternity, I'm sorry that I'm even inclined to complain about them.
      How fun that you're collecting Fiesta! My Grandma had a couple pieces growing up that I think of fondly. ;)

      You should definitely try the tea, it's a keeper! Simple Joys was a pleasure to participate in, I would love to do it again. :)

      Delete
  2. I will definitely look into that tea recommendation ;D (When have I ever ignored such advice though?) Loved seeing the little glimpses of grace you've been treasuring lately. This week mine are sleeping in (a rarity), a new book (A Million Little Ways... you should check it out), and warm chai lattes to enjoy as crisp air and chilly temperatures finally greet me with the coming of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book looks right up my alley. I've needed more reads like this; the Lord has been giving me an artsy worldview of creation, people, etc. I'm loving it.
      It's on my Goodreads list now, thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. Your bangs are cute :) You can rock them pretty well. I grew out my bangs in kindergarten and never looked back. Don't have the face shape for it! Also, the husband and I love tea! We aren't coffee drinkers, but we have an assortment of tea. Delicious. Also x2, I love peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Amanda! I'm rarely on the side of things that can rock anything, haha. I'm usually the one without the right face shape, body shape, etc. So it's nice to rock something, finally!
      YOU rock at running, girl. You make me want to buy some shoes and hit my first mile. :)
      It's so fun meeting more people who love tea (AND aren't coffee drinkers!). In some circle, tea drinking is only for them there folks in England. ;)

      Delete
  4. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that you're blogging again? Good stuff. You do, indeed, rock the fringe. And I'm thankful for your kurdish chai, and hopefully they send me mine soon. HAHA. I love binky faces, they are much better than finger sucking faces BUT I'M NOT BITTER. And, and, and, on an unrelated pacifier note, I'm so thankful I'm your friend. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you're happy I'm blogging, because I'M happy to be blogging--and me being happy about blogging wouldn't mean too much if there weren't people I LOVE who were happy about me blogging. :) You're the sweetest, and I'm thankful for you too (and thankful someone appreciates my scatterbrainedness and leaving my schtuff everywhere!).
      I'm hoping they send you your chai too. I should have given them a heads up before I linked to their shop, cuz the week I decided to, they're empty!
      Love you! ((hug))

      Delete
  5. Hello Jen :) I just wanted to stop by and visit your lovely blog and also let you know that I am very excited to be writing along with you for the Meditation's of His Love blog :)

    Your simple joys are beautiful and a good reminder to me to find joy in the simple things like jumping in a pile of leaves with my son, drinking hot cocoa with my family as we read a book, catching my husband's eye in church and exchanging a smile :) So good to "meet" you and I look forward to visiting you again. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, it was nice of you to stop by to introduce yourself, and share your simple joys, too--love those! :) I'm excited to be writing along with you as well; I imagine we will learn so much and be brought into all kinds of seasons with this new blogging adventure. :) It is very nice to "meet" you as well!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! I enjoy comments of all varieties, lengths and contents, and I do try to faithfully reply. :)